This is just a little space for me to let friends know what I am up to-- easier than emailing everybody all the time from the internet cafe! This site does not allow "oldest entries first" formatting, so I had to give fake dates to the entries so that it can be read chrnonologically, but that makes the archives in reverse order--when the archive says "June," it is really "May," and vice-verse. Go figure. You can click the pics to get full-size images.

Still here, where is the train station?

ok, it's getting weird out here. . . everything is confusing. . . . can't find the station easily and now that I have found it, there is nothing listed on the board for my train (well, it doesn't depart until 9:35 and that is four hours away, but they have midnight departures listed). . . a little station (by Russian standards), you can walk to the platforms and wander about the trains that don't look like they are going any further than about twenty miles away. . no English signage or any hints anywhere. . . pointing to my ticket with a simpering look on my face gets me blank stares. . . I do like the guy in the conducter's outfit playing great classical music on the grand piano in the waiting room. . . on the other hand, next door is the Leningradsky Station that has English all over ("Long Distance Trains This Way" and "International Departures Here"), tourist agencies, and even this Internet cafe. Still no English, tho. So I am going to cruise all over the Internet (the fast and friendly info source) and hope it all works out.

BTW, this must be how everybody else feels traveling in the States. I mean. . . it is true that the Russians have a bad rep, but in terms of traveling, well, this just ain't a tourist spot, with English-traveler friendly stuff everywhere. Imagine being Russian (NOT Borat, Russian) in the States, with no English. . . no Russian signs anywhere, everybody pretty rude and not speaking Russian, and things confusing. So I give 'em that-- my lack of prep and knowledge is my fault, not theirs.

And I wonder if my method of just ripping pics from other pages will be easier than uploading from my camera. . .

OK, just an aside for anybody ever looking for this train station that happens across this posting: it is indeed Yaroslavsky, aside from all indications to the contrary. Just wait patiently, your train will be listed on the left side of the board as soon as enough trains depart to make room for it. The train leaves from the platforms to the right side of the station as you are looking out at them. . .you can just walk over there at any time, there are no gates or ticket-takers or anything else. The conductor will collect your ticket when you board. Find the number stenciled on the platform that corresponds to your carriage and, about 30 minutes before departure time the train will show up. Get on, find your compartment, and you are home for a number of days! Some things to bring: knife, fork, chopsticks (for all the noodles and sausage you will buy from the platform vendors), instant coffee, spoon, cup, small towel (for sponge baths if you are in first class) and or some baby wipes, a good map to see where you are, maybe some salt and chile spices too. . . it all helps! Enjoy!

BTW, this is Beijing-Ulaanbaatar-Moscow in Russian, Chinese, and Mongolian. . . can you spot the differences???

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are such a whining bitch! Haven't you ever left home before? Must everything be taken care of for you? Let me guess. . . you are American, yeah?